Sunday, July 25, 2010

Revisiting Italy - Damn Jpeg



I was looking back over some photos from my 2006 trip to Italy, and thought I'd try my hand at sprucing some of them up with an extra three and a bit years of playing around with photos.



I shot everything in jpg (I didn't know any better early on) and hence am pretty limited in manipulation leeway, I only had my three primes a 90mm, 50mm and (bodgy) 28mm.



Everything was shot off hand without any real thought to composition (as far as I can remember) and I hadn't yet learned to use the in camera histogram to evaluate exposure.



In reflection, three years on, I've gotten far better at my camera handling and knowing what my D200 can and can't do. However, I think my composition is still fairly rigid and needs to be loosened up and made more adaptable. Despite fancy zooms and fast lenses, I'm still sticking to fairly mundane perspectives. That's not to say I don't deserve new gear though ;-)



No comments: