Sunday, July 18, 2010

Danger Zone - Jets - Temora, NSW



Mikey and I decided to wake up well before dawn and travel over 400km just to smell burnt aviation fuel... vintage aviation fuel!

Temora hosts an air museum which has bi-monthly flying days of its vintage aircraft. We went this particular weekend to catch three of their turbine powered flying machines.

It was a good opportunity to practice my panning skills again. To freezes these planes going low and slow I needed at least 1/800th, but was using 1/400th to see if I could induce some panning blur.

Unfortunately, 1) it's hard to see relative motion against a pure blue sky with no clouds, and 2) where there were clouds I just plain sucked at panning.

The longest lens I have a the moment is my 80-200mm with 200mm being insufficient to really fill the frame with a jet (OH&S meant they weren't allowed to go balls out right above us).

I had better luck with the static displays and busted out some subtle HDR.














No comments: