Thursday, July 08, 2010

Tulips - something from nothing



Tried some 3 flash lighting, 2x shoot-thru defuse front lights - 1 key, 1 fill and a gridded hairline off to the right from behind.



I don't know too many people who'd model for me so tulips from the markets just had to do. They weren't in the greatest shape, but hey when you have lemons...

Used a variety of lenses, 90mm to 80-200mm for kicks. Used aperture to control amount of light. Toyed with ND4 filter rather than fiddling with 3x flash power controls to open up the aperture a little (3x strobes in small white room = lots of light bounced around)

A little underwhelmed by my post processing. The vingetting is too cheesy in the preset I was using. I toned it back but still looks pretty dire.

Lesson learnt: Takes a lot of effort to make a photo from nothing.







2 comments:

Simon Bills said...

You can get rid of any unwanted vignettes in lightroom super easy. I'm usually underwhelmed when I try to do shots like this, I just assume it'll be really easy to take an awesome macro shot of an ice cube dropping into a tall glass of water but it never is, especially when I don't really do fancy flash set ups!

Unknown said...

Yeah yeah to lightroom and vingettes, but the tulips looked more dreadful and plain without the preset induced vingnette I was using so lazy me left it in.

BTW Lightroom 3 is now rocking my world. Staved off camera upgrade with better noise processing.