Tuesday, August 10, 2010

In this month's Gourmet Traveller...

I got published :D



It wasn't an article, it wasn't even a photo in an article. It was a small part of a one page advert about an Australian Tourism photocompetition. I didn't win, I wasn't even a finalist, but I did get my name and a picture on p67 of the July 2010 issue of Gourmet Traveller. Cue flag waving!



http://www.nothinglikeaustralia.com/flash.htm#/entries/17244/title

I was doing a job for a sports photography company (who may or may not want to be associated with this blog and thus will remain anonymous - however, if you have a sporting event, these guys know how to roll out good coverage - I can pass on a name) and the long and short of it is one of my frames caught the eye of someone who knew about the competition and I submitted on that basis.

To be honest, I thought I had accidentally taken something fantastic, beyond my known abilities, tapping into some innate artistic creature I hadn't found before. So I was quite underwhelmed when the photo in question was revealed to me. It was a test frame to check ambient backlight to dial in my exposure and flash fill for the event competitors. Hell there was even a building crane smack bang where the sunrise is!

So with some garish colour manipulation and quick and dirty heal brushing of the crane we end up with this...



Slap on a cheesy title (I had no coffee or pastry though I did pity the event competitors it was so cold) and email... it is that easy to get published people!

2 comments:

Simon Bills said...

That's great, congrats!

Did the T's and C's of the competition allow Photoshop crane removal? Some comps are pretty hot on stuff like that. This is the only reason I can see why you didn't scoop first prize.

Unknown said...

you are too kind mate.

I didn't see the T and Cs, but in this day and age, you'd think that it would be considered part of the artist licence even if it's as gaudy as this one turned out to be.