Thursday, November 12, 2009

Trawling for landscapes #4 - North Stradbroke Island

My motivation to kick out some landscapes is for my new Windows 7 rotating backgrounds, some have been successful, others a nightmare for finding icons. Plus it's a relaxing disconnect at the end of the night after bashing my head against my paper all day.

This one was taken mid this year during our "get-the-hell-out-of-Canberra" winter holiday on North Stradbroke Island. It was a fairly flat day so some licence was taken with regards to PP. I'm happier with this one as it's @ 45mm with the 24-70mm, I think it's my preferred working range rather than the 10-20mm.

Composition wise, for me I feel there is more lead-in for the eye (compared to the other 3) with a pronounced bottom to top in both colours and subject focus. Improvement suggestions? I'm wondering if I can ditch the 3:2 ratio and crop to a composition that's tall and thin?



Edit: I think both Selina and Billo are right in saying there isn't something distinctive in the foreground for inital impact (too many sticks going everywhich way). Does the new crop with the skinny aspect ratio emphasise the bottom to top flow? I'm hoping it also highlights that bottom left to middle tree branch as the key foreground content. The crop also ditches a lot of the sky which was always an understated blurgh. I also tried an almost 1:1 crop but I don't like cropping more than I have to, and need to make more of an effort to get it right in the camera 1st.



The last 4 entries have honed for me that I simply cannot run and gun with landscapes. They require far more thought to a proper composition not to mention patience as to best timing. This appears to be common knowledge on various other blogs and sites I've been reading, but I guess hubris makes me think I know better ;-) (Damn that tasty hubris!)

Thanks to all for their constructive comments, they are exactly what I wanted.

2 comments:

Simon Bills said...

I like this one, althouth if I was being picky I might say that the foreground is a bit busy for my liking. I don't remember the last time I shot a landscape, they're bloody hard to make interesting though, most of the best ones are a result of some punter heading off at 5am to shoot the sunrise from the top of a mountain - stuff that, I'll stick to my cityscapes and people thank you very much!

Selina Wallace said...

The dark logs at the bottom 'weigh' down the photo IMO. Not sure how you can get around that now... It feels a little like you've not chosen a real subject to your photo, and that lets it down a bit. (you did ask for comments!) the view (and photo) is not unpleasant though!!