Monday, July 10, 2006

Gio Blogs II

Update:
More pictures on Picasa Webalbums
North Straddie

Another post for our convivial Italian friend! As I said, I've had a hectic fortnight along with others attempting to show Gio the finer parts of life in Australia.

This began with a day trip with Mark, myself and another exchange student, Maiko (from Japan this time) out to North Stradbroke Island for some ice cream and whale watching, including a walk around the gorges on the tip of North Straddie and a fantastic view from lunch at the Point Lookout pub.


Maiko, Mark and Gio


I'm sure they were explaining something to do with coastal systems, I was too far away with the 70-300mm AF-D


Go you Tamron 90mm Macro! This lens is awesome even wide open, with enough reach so that you don't scare away the wildlife. Looking to get some teleconverters to augment this f2.8 lens!


As cheap as the 70-300 D might be, it still spanks most consumer camera lenses






Straddie's beaches are amongst the best




unflappable

I was trying to practice my panning action shots again, but have concluded that I suck for the moment no matter how smooth I try to be





A tired Gio, enjoying the sun



This long and arduous day was followed by a couple of hours sleep before waking up for the France v Italy FIFA world cup, which I was kicking myself for not bring my camera to.

Claire has match coverage here. And we really saw how red blooded the Italians can be, what with the cursing and cussing from our, as Claire put it, "mild mannered" Tuscan.

Gio was most impressed with Australia's ability to take sides in any sporting contest and root for the team as though they were our own! I sided with the enemy, the Italians, whilst James and Claire barracked for the Frenchies! Here are a few more photos from my crappy mobile(argh! caught out without my tools!)






Viva le faux Eiffel tower! This one even rates a mention in wikipedia! look here under reproductions


Claire and James looking on with bated breath in the closing moments of the match


Despite only a couple of hours sleep nothing can repress a winning smile, especially just after you've rubbed Claire's nose in it!

No comments: