Monday, August 14, 2006

DSLRusers Hunt and Shoot - Trial by Fire

Update : Other peoples winning photos (untouched from the camera) can be found here
Update:
Originals from the day can be found here.

I participated in my first ever photocompetition for personal gain (beyond inflating my Ego), there were PRIZES!

The Brisbane chapter for DSLRusers had a Hunt & Shoot event which involved 10 categories and only 4 hours, using a maximum of 20 exposures (yes, only 20 presses of the shutter button, including mistakes of which there were many for me). Oh yeah and we had a limited area to play in! Awesome!

Whilst I didn't win anything, I did learn many things about the way I take photos and how I couldn't be put on an assignment with a limited number of shots, and how much I use post-processing as a crutch for my mediocre technique.

Really need to work on my composition and technique. And when faced with categories or themes, I should stop thinking like a Virgo and be alittle more creative rather than literal.

Here are the photos after they have been massaged a little in photoshop (which the contest didn't allow for). Next time I'm gonna tweak the in-camera settings for contrast and saturation to get a little more "pop" in each photo.

Movement


Multi-coloured


Reflective Surface


Gainfully Employed


Sculptured Animal


Texture

even a geophysicist can recognise a limestone!

Religious Significance


Sign of the Times


Showing its age


From above

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work Hash.

I really like your interpretation of each of the themes. I found it a really hard mindset to get into only having 20 shots available for 10 topics. In all I think you have done a great job. I even like your movement shot more than my own.

Well done.
Mark

Unknown said...

Thanks Mark,

I think photography is one of those hobbies where you are your own worst critic. I looked at everyone else's photos and went "Wow! Wish I thought of that!" or "That is simply stunning..." Like Shane's overall winner.. on a NEW camera!

Interpretation and creativity is what does it for me, I can see why your photo for "movement" came through with the goods coz it was a great concept and not generic. Congrats for the 3 categories BTW. well done!

Anonymous said...

Like you said "photography is one of those hobbies where you are your own worst critic".

I came home and looked at my pictures and saw what others had posted and thought how did I win anything let alone 3 categories!

Thanks again.