Saturday, May 05, 2007

About a Girl

"Im standing in your light
I do hope you have the time
I do pick up number two
I do keep a date with you"
Nirvana - About a girl

So the news I have been sitting on for so long and have been so reticent in sharing far and wide for fear that it was just a figment of my lucid imagination is... I have met someone wonderful.

It’s funny how you can live for a very long time in complete ignorance to the world around you, steeped in your own concerns and troubles. Yet all it takes is to open your eyes and things are seldom as bad as they appear in the shuttered space of your mind. Commonsense? Yes, but that is sometimes hard to find when you do not care for those logical rationales.

On this Italy trip I rolled back the blinds only to find a wondrous person in return.

A long story short, Therese is a friend, who I had only met once before, of my housemate Sam. We kept in email contact because of a lapse in concentration during a group email (we need to thank Karen for the initial impetus). We ended up deciding to rendezvous in Sardinia since she was on a 6 month journey and I was on a conference. I found that four days in Sardinia wasn’t enough time in this lovely person’s company, and I jumped through hoops to see her again before we were at geographical antipodes. I conjured up a shortened trip to Italy (sorry Gio!) after leaving Therese in Alghero, Sardinia and kept my promise to take her to dinner and the theatre in London (The Lion King at the Lyceum - Thanks Chris and Michelle)... What lady could resist dinner and a show? Needless to say things boded well for us from that point on.

Yes yes some of you wheedled my excitement out of me, but by in large I’ve been kind of vague about Therese. So why was I so taciturn about this scenario? Well for starters, Therese was only 2 months into her 6 month sojourn in Europe and she was hoping to turn her 6 month journey into something a little longer and more permanent. Also she lived in Sydney and was into sheep and horses (Ag. Science degree!).

A Science Communicator by virtue of further training, Therese makes me feel ineloquent when trying to convey the synopsis of my Ph.D project, she has much to teach me about communicating ideas with efficiency and without overwhelming detail to the wider community.

We have weathered four long months, separated by 23000 odd kilometres and numerous bad internet cafes. She has recently closed the distance between Brisbane and Sydney to be with me, so I feel Therese is here to stay. Be on the lookout for more exciting events involving this gorgeous lady!

My last picture of Therese asleep on a bus to Alghero Airport as we prepared for our first painful parting of ways. I remember wondering if I would ever see her again as I stared at her on the bright view screen of my trusty D200. Sometimes a 2.5" viewfinder is just not big enough...



Thankfully you've made my camera obsolete by moving to Brisbane Gorgeous!

No comments: