Monday, September 25, 2006

Italy IV - Chia and Conference

Didn't get that many photos on the business end of this trip, was indoors most days listening to talks at the conference. At least I only had one day to spend fretting about my presentation.

I'm beginning to feel that travel photography is frustrating. It becomes a case of opportunity and luck rather than creating an opportunity or pursuing a photo. Yes, I know all about capturing a moment etc, but some of these photos, I just wish I had more time to compose or had more time to wait for better light. As it is, most of the photos shown here are at noon or early afternoon and everything looks flat with too much contrast. Anyway enough belly aching!

We managed a stop at an archaeological site at Nora, not far from where we were staying for the conference. Little did I know but we would be visiting the site again for our conference field trip... pity as archaeological sites are interesting only once.











I also discovered something very strange and disturbing printed on the coke cans in Italy. I'm not sure if it's a marketing ploy or if I'm committing cultural subterfuge by drinking coke in Italy.



Over the week we manage several other sites and on a windy day we spotted some kites on the horizon and went to investigate and discovered the mother of all kite surfing beaches!





I also made a day trip into Cagliari to have a walk around the town. My first real European city!





I got distracted by flowers too







The sun setting over the hills always reminds me of Brisbane



next post - Return of the Gio blogs and PISA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Italian engrish wooo
So blue...
few of those would make awesome prints
Excellent shots as always

Unknown said...

Hey frink,

I was dumbfounded when I looked at the ingredient list of the coke can. I had no idea what the heck an "analcoolica" was?!

Don't you hate just snapping away instead of taking the effort on a photo to get it just right? I found a great use for my Func. button, burst bracketing for Jpegs. Perfect for the photographer travelling with other people who have better things to do than take photos.

Thinking of going to Avalon Airshow next march. You up for that?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there's diet analcoolica as well

I'm the king at just snapping.. that's why I spending so much time in post being 'creative' :P
5fps + bracketing also makes for a decent way to do hdr without resorting to a tripod (if you don't mind doing minor manual alignments of layers)
Love the func button.. especially now with new firmware I can assign it to spotmeter AND highspeed crop, no need to go into menu at all (for those times when I need to ummm... lengthen my c-peeny quickly or something)

Avalon is in vic right? Probably not too likely especially since I don't really have any glass that's long enough (don't even think of putting ideas of 400 f/2.8's in my head :P)

Unknown said...

Yup it's in Vic, They fly damn close to the ground, plus what's the use of 12Mp if you can't crop :)

I'm going to try and get some awesome photos of the static displays if I ever get my 12-24mm nikon.

Still interested in katzeye?

Anonymous said...

If I crop I can't print so big ;p
You know me.. everything's gotta be big..

Eh might hold off on Katzeye. Using mostly auto focus for macro since manual focus and hunting bugs and whatnot is just too damn tiring and AF does as good a job.
I think I might put r1c1 kit ahead of katzeye.

12-24 nikkor or tokina?
From what I understand the tokina is hard to get at the moment as they've pretty much stopped production for some reason. Hard to decide if the nikkor is really worth paying that much more for.