Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Idle lunch - Ladybug



I had some Ph.D downtime as the power to our apartment was disconnected for about an hour, good thing the flash batteries were charged! Bright daylight, but still required 2 flashes. Corded 900 from above right and slave 800 from directly below. Went for f8.0-10 with 1/160 - 1/200 shutter. Spent 1/2 hour coaxing and waiting for the little dood to be ready for it's "close up", even so, only came up with two frames worth posting.

No ladybugs were injured in these photos, last I saw was the ladybug stalking some aphids on our balcony garden.

2 comments:

Ged McMahon said...

Hey Hash... love this photo. Seriously good shot. Great clarity on the bug and the flower falls neatly out of DOF. I wonder how it would look if you washed out the black at the bottom and completed the vignette circle? I'm not sure - you're better at this than me - but just thought maybe that might frame the image better...

Unknown said...

Hey Ged,

I tried to play around with that, but the contrast on the petals made the vignetting look too forced. Ideally, I think I should have gone with a white piece of paper for a backdrop, it would have filled the black gap under the bug. I could always PS it, but Ling would say I should be working on my paper! :D